Who can take care of my pets while I'm on vacation?
If you can't take your pets along on your next trip, you may be wondering what to do with them while you are away. We believe that leaving your pets at home, with proper love and care, is always the best option for your pets.
Here we will discuss 2 of the most popular pet care options. Each arrangement has a unique set of benefits and some people may actually prefer using both systems together.
Option 1: Friends and family
Is there someone who goes gaga every time they see your pets? They may love the opportunity to spend time caring for them. If you have a friend or family member that loves your pets as much as you do, this might work for you.
- Cost - You may be able to trade off pet care services with a friend for a fully stocked refrigerator, a nice souvenir or even nothing at all.
- Convenience - No need to schedule a meet and greet; and your friend or family member may already have the key to your house.
Something to Consider:
Scheduling - Will your pet care needs interfere with your family member's normal routine, potentially causing resentment?
A quick tip:
Notes - Caring for your pets is much different from visiting them when you are home. Make detailed notes of their routines and habits, the location of food and supplies, house rules and emergency contact numbers.
Option 2: Professional Pet Sitters
Many pet owners hire pet sitters when they go away on vacation. A professional pet sitting service can serve as an extension of your family friends when you need to get away and can't take the pets along with you.
- Service - Because you are paying for pet care, there is no need to hold back from requesting the exact care your pets need.
- Reliability - When you hire a team of professionals, you get peace of mind knowing that someone will always be there.
Something to consider:
- Backup Care - If you select a pet sitting service that works as a team, you can have the peace of mind that comes with knowing someone will visit no matter what may come up.
A quick tip:
- Options - Each pet sitting service is unique. It is best to interview your pet sitters as far in advance as possible. This will allow you to find the service that is best for you.
The advantage of using both options together
Friends and Family - Over a long period, there is a potential for burnout if your friends have other things going on. Might your friend forget to stop by your house on Friday after work? Do you worry that your family member may not have the extra time to love on your pets?
Professional Pet Sitters - Your budget may not allow for you to pay for live-in pet care from a professional service. Might you schedule visits to give your loved one some free time? Do you like the idea of having a backup plan?
When you are away, there is a certain level of stress that your pets will experience as they are missing you. Whether you use the services of a loved one, neighbor or professional service, put together a pet care plan that will keep your pet happy and give you peace of mind.
When you are choosing a sitter, be sure to take more into consideration than cost and convenience. The health and safety of your pet is a big responsibility.
What do you do when you have to leave your pets behind? Tell us in the comments!